Please join us March 20, 2019 for: Deploying Lithium based UPS!
Speaker: Brian Handley
Location: Google, Mountain View. SB65 Border to Border Conference Room
1365 Shorebird Way
Mountain View, CA 94043
When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019: Dinner & Networking: 6:00 pm; Presentation, 7:00 pm
Cost: Registration through 3/17/2019: $15.00 for IEEE members, $20.00 non-members. Walk-Ins if space available: $20 members/$25 non-members
Stored Energy for Data Center back up power is changing dramatically. The traditional option of VRLA batteries or flywheels is being challenged by the introduction of Lithium Ion Batteries (LIB) for UPS power storage. As with any shift in technology, there are issues that need to be considered. They include:
- The design, chemistry and value proposition of LIB for UPS. Common myths about LIB.
- Benefits and challenges of LIB versus VRLA. For example: cost, monitoring and cycling.
- Battery monitoring vs. battery management.
- The safety features and potential risks of LIB.
- Applicable NFPA and IFC codes that impact this technology.
- Understanding the 2018 revision to the California Fire Code regarding Stationary Storage Systems. The impact in and out of California.
- Working with AHJs and engineers.
Brian Handley has been in the data center business for 25 years. He has been representing Emerson and Vertiv for 14 years in the San Francisco Bay Area. Brian has more than 800 large UPS installations in the last 12 years and is has placed more than 400 Lithium cabinets around the US in the last 18 months.
See you there!